Monday, May 11, 2009

A Little Midnight


I've talked a little bit about "Bluer Than Midnight"--my play about the Civil Rights Movement, the Blues...and the Afterlife--a little bit here, but I haven't shared any of it. So, just for the hell of it, here's a sample. Virgil's trying to track down a missing Freedom Rider and aspiring blues musician...on the other side. Naturally, his quest leads him to the Crossroads, where he meets a Stranger. Try reading it while playing the Little Junior Parker tune in the post below....

STRANGER
What brings you to these crossroads on such a disagreeable night?

VIRGIL
It’s beautiful this evening.

Flash of lightning. Thunder. This continues throughout scene.

VIRGIL
Here to meet someone.

STRANGER
And who might that be?

VIRGIL
Not sure. Thought you might know.

STRANGER
Me? I don’t even know you. How would I know your party?

VIRGIL
Thought you might be the guy.

STRANGER
Is that so? What’s your name?

VIRGIL
Virgil. What’s yours?

STRANGER
Can’t you guess? Call me.... Well, what difference does it make? Let’s suppose, for conversation sake, I’d be the person you’re looking for. What would you want from me?

VIRGIL
Information.

STRANGER
Oh? I can provide many kinds of information. The thing is, for the information to be of any value to you, it would have to be of value to me. I’m just as helpful as I can be, but I’m not in the habit of giving things away. One must get by, you know?

VIRGIL
Got about a hundred bucks left. You can have that.

STRANGER
A whole hundred dollars? That’s gracious. But I’m hesitant to traffic in currency. It’s so uncertain. One day, everybody wants it. Time passes, it’s just paper.

VIRGIL
If I had gold, I’d give you that. I don’t.

STRANGER
Gold is so...heavy. And basically I’m very, very lazy.

VIRGIL
What would you suggest?

STRANGER
Sir...I don’t make suggestions.

No comments: