Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Good Day in Splattworld


It's that time of year again, when the children wait expectantly for the presents to arrive.... Yes. I'm talking about the announcements of Regional Arts and Culture Commision's (RACC) project grants for artists. This year, I'm tied to two projects which have won grants; the following descriptions are from the RACC site:

Portland Theatre Works Next of Kin LabWorks. Portland Theatre Works will produce an intense developmental workshop of Steve Patterson’s play Next of Kin, which had a well-received developmental reading in our FreshWorks program in October 2008. In the play, set in rural Oregon during the height of the Iraq War, Mike is a Marine Casualty Assistance Officer, who informs parents and spouses their loved one has been killed.

Chris Harder, Fishing For My Father. From my personal experience as an adopted child, meeting my biological father, and becoming a sperm donor myself, I am inspired to explore the complex quality of love that is shared between children and their fathers and how diverse circumstances influence who we are. By using fishing as a common thread I aim to discover the significance that shared moments and memory have in our lives.


In the case of Mr. Harder's piece, I'm writing a quartet of monologues. (Chris and I worked together on The Centering, for which he won a Drammy Award as best actor.) So that means I have some writing to do, plus a rewrite of Next of Kin, plus two plays in January's Fertile Ground New Works Festival (The Rewrite Man as part of the Pulp Diction new works reading series, and Riffs, a short play as part of Introducing...Playwrights West, readings from a new theatre company I'm involved with...called, not suprisingly, Playwrights West. You can buy tickets to both events through the Fertile Ground Web site.)

This is the nature of theatre. In 2007, I won the Oregon Book Award, tra la, my future was golden, all I had to do was wait for the offers to come cascading in, and...nothing happened. I got a lot of writing done this past year, but had not a single production. In 2010, well, I'm already exhausted thinking about it.

Anyway, congratulations to Mr. Harder and to Mr. Andrew Golla at Portland Theatre Works, and to all the other RACC recipients. If you want to check out the other granted projects, the info can be had at RACC Project Grants for 2010

Plus, depending on how things go, I might be writing a non-fiction book, and I have a bunch of new plays to market.

In other words, maybe I'll get to sleep next year. A little. Maybe.

Good times.

S

2 comments:

Mead said...

Yes, congratulations to all of you for your well-deserved accolades -- and the financial support. This means more outstanding work in 2010 by some of Portland's best artists. Thank you RACC!!

Steve Patterson said...

Thanks, Mead! Slight addendum: I realize I won the OBA in 2008, not '07. But, you know, details. Looks like some very cool work coming up next year.