Thursday, April 16, 2009

Doors and Windows into the Past


We went to Pompeii in the morning, arrived around 9:30. The sky was clear, but there was a bit of haze, so there were good shadows and colors but also good detail as there wasn't too much contrast. I didn't have any particular idea in mind when I was shooting, and it wasn't until I got home that I realized I'd kind of instinctually used doors and windows to frame one another, and, along with the detail afforded by the G10, I ended up pretty pleased with the results. I'm still working on cropping, optimizing, and printing the photos, but I'm kind of hoping I can make some kind of series out of it. Anyway, here's a few of the Pompeii shots. It's a weirdly magical place, both beautiful and tragic. I wouldn't want to be alone there at night.









No comments: