Monday, October 8, 2007

Like a laaaaasser beeeeeam

I received an e-mail asking, that "There are so many of you..." line above the counter on your page...where is that from? It sounds so familiar, but....

Not suprising; the reference definitely falls into the obscure category. It's a line from "Rejoyce," a Jefferson Airplane song inspired by James Joyce's "Ulysses." From the notorious "After Bathing at Baxters" album.

To wit:


Rejoyce

Chemical change like a laser beam
you've shattered the warning amber light
Make me warm
Let me see you moving everything over
Smiling in my room
You know you'll be inside of my mind soon.

There are so many of you.
White shirt and tie, white shirt and tie,
white shirt and tie, wedding ring, wedding ring.

Mulligan stew for Bloom,
The only Jew in the room
Saxon's sick on the holy dregs
And their constant getting throw up on his leg.

Molly's gone to blazes,
Boylan's crotch amazes
Any woman whose husband sleeps with his head
All buried down at the foot of his bed.

I've got his arm
I've got his arm
I've had it for weeks
I've got his arm
Steven won't give his arm
To no gold star mother's farm;
War's good business so give your son
And I'd rather have my country die for me.

Sell your mother for a Hershey bar
Grow up looking like a car
There are so many of you;
All you want to do is live,
All you want to do is give but
Some how it all falls apart

2 comments:

Mead said...

What a flash -- I can't believe you've quoted in full from one of my favorite songs. Or anyway it was a fave back in my wild psychedelic youth. Fun to see the lyrics written down; I was always too lazy to check them against ULYSSES.

Which is why I always thought Grace was singing whyshouldn'tIwhyshouldn'tI whyshouldn'tI....

In other news, did you know that Adam Sym has distinguished your blog on his blog?
http://aszym.blogspot.com/

Steve Patterson said...

Thanks for the tip on Adam's blog. How nice of him!

The funny thing about Rejoyce is that after putting it up on the blog, I had to go dig the song out of the achives and listen to it again. Deb has a lovely picture taken by a newspaper reporter friend of her sister of the Airplane playing a free gig in L.A., '67 or '68, and Grace looks just so completely...Gracie. It's marvelous. Somebody to love, indeed.